After nearly 100 years of golf at Forsyth Country Club (FCC), a strong case could be made that the golf course has never been better. Starting as a 9-hole layout with sand greens, soon after the Club was founded in 1913 the course was upgraded to a “real” 9-hole course by A.W. Tillinghast on the property that today contains the back 9. In 1920, Donald Ross was hired to give FCC a true championship 18-hole course.
Over the years, however, small and large changes were made to the course, and much of Ross’s genius had been lost. Recognizing that FCC owned a truly spectacular piece of real estate with significant elevation changes right in the heart of Winston-Salem, and that the course routing was still intact from possibly the greatest golf course architect ever, the next step was obvious! In 2007, Ross restoration specialist KSGD was hired to restore and update the course and bring back the classic elements of Ross courses that make them so highly regarded.